This is a detailed guide on how to fix a roof leak from the inside of your home (whenever it’s possible to do so)
Inspecting The Ceiling
- Start by inspecting the ceiling of the highest floor in your home, or any ceiling that the attic is located right above it.
- Look for any water spots, peeling paint, or damaged drywall.
- once you have spotted the effected areas remember the location of it so you can easily spot it when you enter the attic.
Inspecting The Attic
- Go into the attic near the damaged area you have spotted during the ceiling inspection.
- You need to look for any daylight coming through the roof, wet stains on the insulation, or mold spots on the roof deck.
Roof Leak “Hose Test”
- One person goes over the roof with a water hose while the other stays inside the house or attic.
- The person outside will spray water side to side from the lowest point of the roof slowly going up to the top of the roof while the person inside is looking for any leaks or moisture that builds on the roof deck from the inside.
Visual Inspection Above The Rest
- First look for any previously repaired areas which may have been repaired incorrectly. We are looking for any nails that are poking through, damaged shingles, or caulking that came off the shingles.
- Also look for any hole inside the shingles or an opening caused by animals.
- Other common leak sources might be damaged or cracked pipe collars, step flashing, & missing or damaged shingles.
Fixing a Roof Leak From The Inside
- Remove any dirt & debris on the roof decking for a smooth application of the roof cement or tar.
- Apply a thick layer of roofing tar or roof cement to the roof deck.
- Make sure you use roof tar or cement that can be applied on both wet & dry surfaces for emergency roof leaks during a rain.
Roof Repair From The Outside
- when you have a big hole or opening, you can temporary cover the roof with a tarp. Do not try to remove any items that have penetrated into the roof, call a roofing professional to prevent further damage.
- Use a roof tar and apply it to any cracks or nail poking through.